The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) is tasked under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act to provide technical assistance to help federal agencies comply with Section 508 requirements, and ensure that covered ICT is accessible to, and usable by, individuals with disabilities.
Section508.gov provides guidance to Federal agency staff who play a role in IT accessibility. The site addresses several key topics, including:
- Program Management – Provides best practices on how to manage an effective IT Accessibility program;
- Roles and Responsibilities – Provides guidance to individuals on their responsibility to ensure accessibility is incorporated into business processes and deliverables;
- Procurement – Helps agencies understand how to clearly define accessibility requirements for ICT procurements, and helps ICT vendors understand the need to demonstrate the accessibility of their IT products and services for potential federal buyers;
- Tools & Training – Conducts and facilitates training for IT Accessibility program managers and agency procurement officials, and offers tools to automate common accessibility-related management tasks; and
- Policy Compliance – Helps federal agencies understand and meet their responsibilities under Section 508 and related laws and policies.
GSA is committed to the accessibility of its information and communication technologies for individuals with disabilities by meeting or exceeding the requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.